Sunday, April 14, 2013


It's already mid-April and that means that your 2012 income taxes are due tomorrow Monday, April 15, 2013.

If you need extra time to file, you may apply for an extension of time by filing a form 4868.

According to the form instructions, there are three ways to request an extension:

  1. You can file Form 4868 electronically by accessing IRS e-file using your home computer or by using a tax professional who uses e-file. 
  2. You can pay all or part of your estimate of income tax due using a credit or debit card or by using the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS). 
  3. You can file a paper Form 4868. 

Please note that in order to qualify, you must meet the following:

  1. Properly estimate your 2012 tax liability using the information available to you, 
  2. Enter your total tax liability on line 4 of Form 4868, and
  3. File Form 4868 by the regular due date of your return. 

VERY IMPORTANT: Although you are not required to make a payment of the tax you estimate as due, Form 4868 does not extend the time to pay taxes. If you do not pay the amount due by the regular due date, you will owe interest. You may also be charged penalties.

Lastly, the Form 4868 extends your Federal income taxes only.  Please check with your respective state for extension instructions.  If you do not owe any California state taxes, filing the Form 4868 will automatically extend your filing due date of your California taxes.  If you believe that you owe California taxes, then you would also have to file Form 3519.


All information provided here are intended as a convenient source of tax information. This information is general in nature, is not complete, and may not apply to your specific situation. You should consult your own tax advisor regarding your tax needs.